Young Writer Comps and Opportunities
Calling all young writers, playwrights and poets! While I’ve been gallivanting around the UK, these past few weeks, heaps of regular and new young writers’ competitions and opportunities have opened up. Some are closing soon.
So flex those writing muscles and get your entries in fast. (Only if they’ve been buffed and polished and proofed, of course.) You’ll find further details and some great new resources on my Young Writers’ Resources page, such as details of three KSP residential places in WA, The John Marsden and Scribe Non-fiction Prizes, plus lots more comp details, events and happenings.
All fabulous opportunities to get your writing in front of judges, publishers and selection panels and there’s some not insignificant cash prizes on offer too.
So get those stories and poems in fast for the comps closing soon.
Some tips for success:
- Follow submission guidelines (exactly)
- Redraft, redraft, redraft
- Read your work aloud to pick up jars and jolts and to check for rhythm
- Vary your sentence structure
- Be strenuous at spell-checking and proofreading
- Give your work a few weeks “air time” (you’ll pick up things you never noticed when you go back to it after a break)
- Flick off that fear goblin nagging on your shoulder. If you’ve put in the work – it’s ready. Repeat – flick and submit.
If you know of any writing opportunities or competitions for young writers, not listed on the YWR page, I’d love you to leave me the details in a comment or email me the link. Thnx. And Good luck!