Call out to Young Writers
Checking around the internet last week, I found heaps of new, exciting opportunities open to young writers and poets and some cool new resources. I’ve updated my Young Writers’ Resources page, including news of three great KSP writing residencies; the John Marsden Writing Prize details; the National Young Writers Festival happening in September and Express Media’s National Young Writers Group page on Facebook with news of submissions, events and workshops.
All fabulous opportunities to get your writing in front of judges, publishers and selection panels and there’s some not insignificant cash prizes going.
So get those stories and poems in fast for those comps closing soon.
Some tips for success:
- Follow submission guidelines (exactly)
- Redraft, redraft, redraft
- Read your work aloud to pick up jars and jolts and to check for rhythm
- Vary your sentence structure
- Be strenuous at spell-checking and proofreading
- Flick off that fear goblin nagging on your shoulder. If you’ve put in the work – it’s ready. Repeat – flick and submit.
If anyone reading here knows of any writing opportunities or competitions for young writers, not listed on the YWR page, I’d love you to leave me the details in a comment or email me the link. Thnx.